Since 2003, the State of Michigan has levied fines, called “Driver Responsibility Fees”, in an effort to help shift to what the Secretary of State's Office Drivers’ License Appeal Manual refers to as “high-risk drivers”.
There was some talk about repealing these unwelcome charges, and while they are in the process of being scaled out of existence, as of May 2018, the statute authorizing Driver Responsibility Fees, MCLA §257.732a is still on the books. More on that later. For now, what you need to know are the amount of the fees, and the reductions.
If you accumulate seven points or more in a two-year period of time, then you are responsible to pay a fee of $100 per year for two years, increasing by $50 for each additional point. Out-of-state tickets for offenses that would generate a Driver Responsibility Fee here in Michigan are included.
Driver responsibility fees of $1000 per year for two years are assessed for:
- Manslaughter, negligent homicide, or a felony resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle, ORV, or snowmobile;
- Moving violations in work zones, emergency scenes, school zones etc., under MCLA §257.601b;
- Moving violations causing injury or death to person operating “implement of husbandry” (i.e., farm equipment) on highway, under MCLA §257.601c;
- Moving violations causing “serious impairment” injury or death to persons generally, under MCLA §257.601d;
- Reckless driving under MCLA §257.626;
- Moving violations near stationary emergency vehicles giving visual signal, under MCLA §257.653a;
- “Section 625” violations for drunk driving, including but not limited to MCLA §257.625;
- Failing to stop and disclose identity at the scene of an accident, when required to do so by law; and
- Fleeing/eluding an officer
The drivers responsibility fee statute contains other fee provisions, but given the apparent phase-out of the statute, beginning on and after October 1, 2018, he further discussion here is not warranted. However, please note that these fees may affect you, and we may need to discuss them.
Under MCLA §257.732a(10), Driver Responsibility Fees are reduced as follows:
- If the driver accumulates 7/more points beginning on October 1, 2015, the fee assessment shall be 75% of the originally imposed amount;
- If the driver accumulates 7/more points beginning on October 1, 2016, the fee assessment shall be 50% of the originally imposed amount;
- If the driver accumulates 7/more points beginning on October 1, 2018, no Driver Responsibility Fees shall be assessed.